What could be the next online FPS running in PS?

Chat & Discussion about the general, everyday stuff
Server Owner

What could be the next online FPS running in PS?

Postby BOWDOWN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:04

Hey guys

As you all know, our lovely ET is getting old now and even if it's hard to say and admit, we know that the game is slowly but obviously approach the end of the line. Thanks to all members and you, we years after yeares have build a nice and great community and we are many in PS staff to think that it would be pity to see all this hard works wasted by the possible end of ET.

We have to get ready and prepare PS future. One of the most important question is, which game(s) could give a hand to ET and one day (as late as possible) replace it on PS servers. This topic is created to collect and share your opinions/suggestions. I ve intentionally gave any names and there will be no poll. Simply post your favorites online FPS game(s) (free or not, even if we have some more attraction for free ones :)), be objective and try to give best/worst points or advantages/disadvanatge of your chosen game.

Let's talk and "debate" now ... :)

PS : please first write the name of your game(s) and then put few lines between it and the rest of your post , it wil help us to have a quicker and better view :) .

Spam Pro

Postby Montame » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22

Counterstrike: Source
Team Fortress 2

It's sad to end like this, even thought the game is old. :)
I always like'd playing this game because there is always an objective, new games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield; people are most focused on the K/D ratio and there is no objective as in ET. But let's enjoy the last moments of playing ET. :twisted:

And here are the links of my suggestions:

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30

TF2 is free to play and it connects the community via steam
CSS would be cool but obviously not everyone owns that game, and a new counterstrike is being released this year
my favorite fps ever is css however

I also started playing a 3d person shooter since a few days ago called Super Monday Night Combat, it is currently in beta but will be released as a free to play game (i got another beta invite to give away btw, if someone wants it ^^)

Please don't go to Battlefield/cod, they have terrible communities (from my own experience) :p
Last edited by Dre_of_chaos on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14

Any edition of CS would be good. Though CS is also bit old and it may be hard to find players.
From marketing point of view, CoD or BF (3 or BC2) would be wise decision, but:
- game complexity and objectiveness is on whole lower level than on ET/CS (especially in CoD)
- community factor on cod/bf servers is pretty dead, gamechat, teamchats are almost empty; from my point of view other players are totally anonymous, no-name to me
- I don't know if I want to purchase any CoD or BF (I own Bad Company 2 so it's ok); while CS is i think worth paying for

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33

CSS is a bad idea, a lot of cheaters these days since as known VAC doesn't ban anything. But TF2, it is free nowadays so why not, it is also quite nice game.
Black Ops would be cool, but it is dying aswell.

In my opinion the best way to get players is to wait for a new great game and then do a server. That would take too much time though to wait for a new game.

At the moment what I can see is that CoD4 and CoD2 are quite much played still, but the problem is that CoD4 is full of cheaters and more likely is played on Promod. And CoD2 I just do not know, still seems to be famous. :p

Anyway short story even shorter:

Counter-Strike: Source - No, too many hackers. Or then I was just unlucky in the past when played it.
Team Fortress - Yes, it is a free game and is still played a lot, probably the best choice.
Call of Duty Series - Yes/No, what it comes to Infinity Ward's newest release MW3 I would say definitely No because is is filled with hackers, bugs which they will never get out of the game because IW have already money in their bag. Black Ops would be a the best choice of all of these games, what I have played it now 450 hours about, I have seen only around 10 hackers. Even my Yes would go to Black Ops I think that its players are dropping all the time and all I can see are Nuketown 24/7 servers.
Battlefield Series - Yes, Battlefield games are made to be fun, it is fun to play and objective playing is fun. I do not much know about Battlefield 3 and how those servers are.

-*S
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:12

You must have had bad luck Saukko, I have barely encountered cheaters over the last few years on css (or maybe you encountered a few guys who have been playing since the start and are just better than you ;) ).

CoD and Battlefield don't support custom maps and mods (more maps = pay to play), imo they become boring really fast. And not every CoD supports dedicated servers (MW2&3 don't, black ops does but it doesnt have that community-feeling)

Battlefield 3 would also be too demanding graphically for a lot current PS players.

And these franchises usually have a new game released each year, this wouldn't be good for the community. Some will want to play the new game, others the old game causing a rift within the community.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

You can see the stats for yourself, on PC Counterstrike and TF2 are more popular than CoD. (it is primarily a console game)

Official Member

Postby Toup » Tue Feb 07, 2012 13:27

Montame wrote:Counterstrike: Source
Team Fortress 2

It's sad to end like this, even thought the game is old.
But let's enjoy the last moments of playing ET. :twisted:

lolwut

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 14:16

I have obtained TF2 while buying so-called 'Orange Box' some time ago. Haven't played it too much. The game is ok, though I didn't have motivation to play.
But I think it would be good choice! TF2 has loose character, which I think corresponds very well with loose atmosphere among PS community. I also think that if I had an opportunity to pwn some noobs, whom I know well from PS servers, it would keep me playing. :> :>

Spam Kid

Postby wallian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 14:16

CS? Hell no. This game is really boring. In ET you have big maps, different objectives, a lot of stuff to do, classes etc..
In CS all you've got to do is planting the bomb or rescuing hostiles. I sometimes play CS but I usually get bored after few days.

In my opinion the best game would be CoD 4 - it's not very expensive (in Poland it costs about 16€) , have quite good graphics and i think that a lot of ppl still play it on multi.

EDIT: I saw some TF2 screenshots - it looks very nice but I've never played it before. Maybe it is a good option.

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Tue Feb 07, 2012 14:36

As for a suggestion, there is no shooter really that comes up to me, though, I want to point something out.

One of the big reasons why ET still excists is because it doesn't need a replacement by the game itself. If Prime-Squadron, for example, becomes a COD community, people should realise they need to buy the new version every year to be part of it. The older versions become outdated really fast (way faster then ET) so there is bigger chance you might lose people on your way.

Therefor I'd rather see a game which is free, or atleast, less expensive game, which costs like a few pounds.

Besides that, I think it's truly sad we might lose such a wonderful game as ET. On the other hand, I completely agree, I'd rather see Prime-Squadron staying alive for a way longer time. :)

Also one of my questions: Will it only be computer based, or also console?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:14

I find it really hard to give a good reply to this topic, mainly because it's getting more and more real that ET is slowly dieing.
ET and more importantly Prime Squadron has had a major impact on my life in more ways than one, I've met great people and some less great :P But that's all part of it, and for these years i wan't to say thank you to all of you.

Now to continue PS, PS has to become a multigaming community in my eyes. For the reason that not everone will like Team Fortress 2, or CSS or whatever games we are going to support. Cause tbh i don't want to lose any of the members and players we have now and choosing 1 game would withing the time of a few months loose 2/3 of everyone here.

For the games that would be a good choice to keep continuing PS would imo be:
Counter-Strike (whatever versions, though not my game a lot of people like it)
Team Fortress 2 (played it, didn't like it very much but with the chance to play against u guys would make it 100x more fun)
Killing Floor (reasonably cheap game, fun, allows dedicated servers)
COD 2 and 4 (Haven't got experience with the series except a few times cod2 at my cousins house, Good games, don't cost a lot anymore and still has a large playerbase)
Battlefield Heroes and Combat Arms (don't know the availability to rent or host an own server though) (Both fun games, BF Heroes is similar to TF2 only then Battlefield style, and Combat Arms is an average shooter game but not bad imo)
Also Tribes Ascend should be a major upcomming Multiplayer, however for the pre-order price of 25 euros and probably normal sale price of 35 euro's might be a bit expensive.

That is for the Shooter side, in order to make PS grow (if going multi-gaming) You need to consider making a place where LoL , HoN, Starcraft 2 can also communicate with eachother since it's a growing world of international gaming. (though i know very little people here that play SC2 :P )
With that i would also suggest Tunnelers, Game hasn't been released yet but they are working on the Alpha testing and should be done within a few months i guess, not a FPS or whatever but a game on it's own, check youtube for gameplay vids.

So that's my story for now ^^

Also a major part in making this change succesfull is to keep in touch with the other players on a more personal scale. (Teamspeak, IRC, Xfire etc)

<icy> seems a guy i know from seeing gave it to me on the mens toilet

Spam Kid

Postby wallian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:24

Also a major part in making this change succesfull is to keep in touch with the other players on a more personal scale. (Teamspeak, IRC, Xfire etc)

Maybe Steam?

I'm downloading TF2 now. It seems to be similiar to ET.
Last edited by wallian on Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:26

wallian wrote:

Maybe Steam?

That's why it says ETC , don't remember if we already have an Prime-squadron Steam community :P Else i'll create one or ask Warren or someon to create one ;)

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:28

Death wrote:
wallian wrote:

Maybe Steam?

That's why it says ETC , don't remember if we already have an Prime-squadron Steam community :P Else i'll create one or ask Warren or someon to create one ;)

Currently there is no PS Steam group, make one Death, and post the link to it here ^^

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:35

PS: I forgot Quake Live
Don't know how large the current player base is and believe it was unsuccesfull in the past when PS tried it but maybe things have changed.

Spam Kid

Postby wallian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:47

Death wrote:PS: I forgot Quake Live

Quake live? No thanks - it's the most chaotic game I've ever played.

So imo:
CSS - No
TF2: Yes
CoD4: Yes
New shooters (BF3, MW3 etc.): No - they're expensive and probably they'll die next year

Veteran

Postby Ajit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:09

Death wrote:PS: I forgot Quake Live
Don't know how large the current player base is and believe it was unsuccesfull in the past when PS tried it but maybe things have changed.

Quake Live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quake live? No thanks - it's the most chaotic game I've ever played.

man, I'm low there but that's really really good game and it's free.

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:45

Death wrote:
wallian wrote:

Maybe Steam?

Hold your horses, we don't even know whether if we're going to need Steam at all.

Quake Live would be awesome, but I think it's less popular than ET?
+1 to TF2 too.

btw ET wont disappear from PS. So stop crying about that :).
Last edited by deep on Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:48

Too late! :P
Anyway it can't hurt so ;)

Official Member

Postby Toup » Tue Feb 07, 2012 18:49

I'd say TF2, COD4 and or maybe CSS.

Useless to make a large ass post because we all know how much I love ET, I'll miss it :D

Official Member

Postby -Drag- » Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:03

Well Battlefield 3 could be good game to try out, since it is currently popular and its hard to see it's popular falling soon.
And I agree that CSS would be a bad idea.

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:15

I agree that i would love to play Bf3 ;)
However seeing the current price of bf3 i think for most people it isn't an option, however we can always see :P

Official Member

Postby SpyCow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:21

*Beep* I got BF3 for a console. :stupid:
Image :wth:

Server High Admin

Postby Daghel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 21:42

Downloaded today Team Fortress 2 and it ROX. In first touch i was preety sceptical, nine classes, cartoon style. But after few minutes of playing it really looks good. Very well made, i dint find any bugs so for after 3h of playing. Many similarities to ET. VAC haxors protection. That would be my type.

CSS-please no.

BF, MW and CoD-both are preety cool ofc, graphics etc. But i found them less social. Connect-frag,frag,frag - diconnect. They will be outdated preety soon also imo, new parts, each year new -same like FIFA series...

DUKE NUKEM - I love its style, but at least in Poland it was preety expensive comapring other games ~150% normal game price. What is really annoying in this game - many spawns in each, even smallest map, and respawn time 1sec. So whole game looks very choatic for me. Preety often happens that enemy you just killed appearing right behind your back.

Never played Quake Live, but i kinda disliked previous parts.

From what i can see on my 875676321 never-met-in-game-and-not-ringing-a-bell-nicks xfire friends, most of our players play LoL, WoW or already TF2.
Chaos is the only true answer.

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 22:16

Quakelive/q3 is old-school fast-paced game :D Though my preference in this firld is Unreal Tournament (original from 1999). I played it quite long and really miss it.

Next

Return to General Discussion