Planning a Trip Abroad

Chat & Discussion about the general, everyday stuff
Spam Kid

Planning a Trip Abroad

Postby Vaakku » Mon Jun 15, 2009 20:20

Hello!

I'm planning a trip abroad together with my brother, but the main problem is the destination: we don't have one yet. Because the community here is very multinational, I am hoping that you could give me advice or suggestions of good places where to spend 4 or 5 days. We are mostly looking for rich history and culture so these should be a must, any other nice things are welcome but more like a little extra than mandatory. Beaches and shopping heavens are of the lowest priority.

There are some other restrictions, such as
- has to be in Europe, preferably not in the eastern parts
- should either be a single city or few cities close to each other and easily travellable
- should offer enough to see and experience for the entire period
- one can get along with just English language

Moreover, I've been to Hungary, Czech, Slovakia, Rome and Berlin, so these are not viable options. We'll have the trip this summer or early autumn.

I know that you all live in fantastic countries and you can suggest your home places as well, but I'm mainly looking for the opinions of tourists: the places you have enjoyed abroad. Feel free to tell more about any great destinations that would be fitting.
Quack!

Official Member

Postby Ammz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 23:02

Denmark is not the country you are seeking :P ...

Movie for the tourists (the one singing is Isam Bachiri from Outlandish ;) he is a dane :P-> http://www.visitdenmark.com/danmark/da- ... m-kort.htm

Choose your language -> http://www.visitdenmark.com/siteforside ... guage=true
You say: "Great Shot!"
I say: "aimbot"
-|PS|-Ammz

Official Member

Postby Death » Mon Jun 15, 2009 23:14

If you want to see the area a bit, I think you should go to the UK (espacially Schotland) I'd like to go there myself some day to chech things out.

Maybe a bit to far though but imo it has a beatifull landscape.

sorry for big pictures btw ;)

<icy> seems a guy i know from seeing gave it to me on the mens toilet

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:54

go to amsterdam:D
to the Red Light District..
and ofcourse you can visit the coffeeshops and smoke some .. wweeed :P
ImageImage
ImageImage

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08

You also could do a couple of days London. I have been there in autumn, and it was really a city full off culture and much things to do! Everything is also in reach there because there is a good system of subways, busses etc. Since the english money lost his value a bit, it is also not really expensive anymore! You can here at the internet find enough pictures etc about the city!
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25

:lol: dont go to Holland if you dont want beaches and shopping, but culture :D that really isnt a good idea... we are just a bunch of uncivilized creatures :D

maybe you should go to Malta, its a nice climate, and it is full of history and culture ^^ and it looks good too.
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Server High Admin

Re: Planning a Trip Abroad

Postby FlowerPower » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54

Vaakku wrote: We are mostly looking for rich history and culture so these should be a must

Since I live in Italy, i can suggest you to visit Venice or Florence (and Tuscany).

-Venice is a little expensive, but it is really enjoyable in this period; there's a lot of things to see, and if you're interested in arts, last week has started the 53th International Art Exhibition (also known as "Biennale"), without forgetting the famous Guggenheim foundation. Moreover you can visit all the little islands sorrounding Venice, and they're really nice (Murano, Burano e Torcello are a "must")
http://www.veniceconnected.com/

-Florence is as nice as Venice in my opinion, but richer of monuments and museums, the real capital of Reinassance. If you're looking for rich history and culture you really should consider to visit it once in your life. Furthermore if you like italian food, you will really appreciate Tuscanian cousin, especially the wine.
http://en.firenze-online.com/
And you have time, you should visit also other tuscanian famous cities: Siena (famous for the Palio, but not only), Pisa (the Leaning tower), S.Gimignano, Pistoia and other small Medieval villages that you can easily find in all guides.

There also some places that i've never visited, but I really like to go there once: Barcellona and south Spain. Maybe someone who has been there can give some nice tips.

Vaakku wrote:- one can get along with just English language

Unlickly Italians are quite poor with foreign languages, and english isn't an exception (me too :)). Touristic operators knows it very well, but the common people no. If you have to ask something is better if you look for young people, they knows english better than the older generations.

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Jun 16, 2009 13:05

yes venice is nice, maybe u'll find this place? :P

Veteran

Postby zombie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 21:08

The Netherlands:
Alkmaar (Cheese market + old buildings, also 4km from my home :P)
Amsterdam: Red Light Destrict, Canals, old buildings, nice train station
Haarlem: nice centrum, old buildings, also a nice train station. Not far from the sea
Utrecht: dunno, never come there

In Holland almost everyone speaks English. Many speak German too and some other languages.

Also Belgium is a nice option
Antwerpen

Dunno further destinations
HTC Desire / Custom Build PC / Samsung P2250

Veteran

Postby wenszy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 0:05

amsterdam or antwerp are both nice places to stay. Tomorrow i'll post you why!
well to solve all my problems
to get out of drugs
i'd had enough of that
i decided i was gonna'
find a new way of life

Veteran

Postby Harpix » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:05

Belgium is horrible! Ghent surely is! Dude nothing to drink or smoke in whole this town! I might be lying, but dont stay in europe! go to Brasil! Party country!
When you cry, we ll be there to sing to you

Spam Kid

Postby Vaakku » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10

Thanks for all the answers so far.

The English language limitation is there just to prune out the most exotic or remote locations. I'm sure that in most places favoured by tourists the locals can speak it at least adequately. Europe is the destination for several reasons even though I'm certian that there are other great places to visit. First, the trip is quite short and secondly our budget is not tight but still limited.

Internet is full of information of travelling - even too full. If you have been to some place abroad that would be fitting to us as well, please share some attractions or places of interest you regarded awesome. I'd appreciate it.
Quack!

Official Member

Postby Death » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:50

zombie wrote:The Netherlands:
Alkmaar (Cheese market + old buildings, also 4km from my home :P)

OMG WHERE IS AZ>????????? the best soccer club of the Netherlands????

also pas by @ Heino ... :) you probally won't find it but that's where i live...
look here for where i live ;)
http://www.prime-squadron.com/modules.p ... Member_Map

@diamond lol.. looks somehow familiar :P

<icy> seems a guy i know from seeing gave it to me on the mens toilet

Veteran

Postby zombie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54

Go to Heiloo Deatheater :P Heino bah, Heiloo cool :beer:
HTC Desire / Custom Build PC / Samsung P2250

Talented Spammer

Postby Es0 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:41

Slovenia !

Picz:

Server High Admin

Postby FlowerPower » Wed Jun 17, 2009 15:10

Diamond wrote:yes venice is nice, maybe u'll find this place? :P

S.Barnaba church :)
It's not true that is a library, and no object inside, i searched for it :)
And no underground like in the Indiana Jones movie... :)

Server High Admin

Postby Miszczu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 15:35

Were citizens a little nervous when u blew up the door by teh tank? :>
" Bite my metal shiny ass!!!"

Official Member

Postby Evil » Wed Jun 17, 2009 17:56

Diamond wrote:yes venice is nice, maybe u'll find this place? :P

this picture is coming up in my head.

oh wait i remember its Venice the map :D

anyways holland has some nice places to see but its just seeking for it ;)

and waist of time to join cofee shops.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 17:57

Miszczu wrote:Were citizens a little nervous when u blew up the door by teh tank? :>

Hehe :D and i see you took the boat away as well? And the boat only moves when it has obj in it, so you must have taken it but tell us you didnt so you can keep the obj for yourself!

*comes to visit Flower with a search warrant* xD

I went to Austria and Malta and Germany so far, Malta was nicest by far. At least, if you enjoy culture and history more then walking over mountains :P

The history of the place where I live... weed plantations in the backyard :roll: not mine! also *beep* but also ugly girls, and a lot of old people too. Not worth it ^^

But well Alkmaar is a nice city, i was born 10 km away from there but we moved a little South 9 years ago. But the Dutch people... they think too high of themselves at languages. Most of their English is soooo terrible. *looks in the mirror* Yes I am guilty...

Malta is really the place to be for you.

EDIT: lol :D this site even has auto-mute for 'bad' words. where it says *beep* i meant to say that they are really easy, if you know what i mean :P
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Spam Kid

Postby Vaakku » Sat Jun 20, 2009 18:08

Thanks again for all the suggestions and aid in general.

My brother has been away, but he'll soon come back so we can discuss this in length. I've thought this a bit and from my earlier thoughts and from your suggestions I've drawn a few suggestions for him, which I'd like to share. In no order of importance:

1. Slovenia or Croatia - capital or coastal
2. London
3. Vienna
4. Istanbul - yes, a bit more exotic alternative, yet still in Europe
5. Lisbon, Porto or a city in Spain
6. anything strange he might suggest

Many great destinations had to be eliminated so we could advance a little in our dilemma. If your suggestion is not on the list, it doesn't mean I wouldn't have appreciated it. The word is still free and if you'll want to help me even more, I'll gladly accept any personal advise or experience concerning the locations above.
Quack!

Return to General Discussion