Today's riddle ;)

Post and share your fun pics, movies, music or other nonsense with us ;-)
Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 20:38

Your clock is analogue (so not with numbers... sorry, idk word for sure in English). At midnight, both of the arrows are directed in the same position. What is the next time that the arrows direct at the same position again?

At midday?

A horse is pulling a plough on a farmers land. The land is exactly 30 metres long and 10 metres wide. The horse leaves 4 footprints on every square metre. How many footsteps will the horse have left behind when it covered all the land?

I guess the plough has removed all the footsteps behind it as the horse has finished :)

Veteran

Postby Harpix » Wed Jan 06, 2010 20:40

IceCreamy wrote:
New one from me:

Your clock is analogue (so not with numbers... sorry, idk word for sure in English). At midnight, both of the arrows are directed in the same position. What is the next time that the arrows direct at the same position again?

Other one:

A horse is pulling a plough on a farmers land. The land is exactly 30 metres long and 10 metres wide. The horse leaves 4 footprints on every square metre. How many footsteps will the horse have left behind when it covered all the land?

a) 1.05am i guess...
b) none cause the plough removes the footprints
When you cry, we ll be there to sing to you

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49

Yep, plough takes away all footsteps xD so 0 is correct answer :)

About clock: at about 1.07, then they both aim at the same direction again ^^
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Spam Kid

Postby Airon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55

IceCreamy wrote:New one from me:

Well as far as i know, most analouge watches (non-digital) have THREE arrows. This means that at midnight, all three arrows will be in the same position. This means that two of the arrows will be in the same position after just one minute.(0:01 am). If the watch doesn't have three arrows, then the two arrows will meet one hour past midnight, at 01:00 am.

Dunno if im right or not :?

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:23

No, I meant those with 2 arrows (I dont care about seconds, lol)

At 1am then it will not be right, cos big arrow is at 12 but small arrow is at 1 ...

Server High Admin

Postby blazing » Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:47

ok here a riddle from me:

2 fathers and 2 son's are getting some apples
they all can only wear 2 apples each

they come home with 6 apples while they didn't eat or throw away an apple

how?

thanks diamond:)

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:50

simple - son, dad and grandfather :)

Yarrrr, I am out of riddles :P

@Ammz was my answer correct :P

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 14:35

@icecream: It cant be at 1:07, since they are not pointing in the same direction by then! At midnight those two arrows point right up, at 1:07 they point slightly to the right. Therefore they are NOT in the SAME position!

you should have asked when does those two arrows cross each other next time...

I got some too :O

1)
Code: Select all
A man was arrested and sentected to death. When the day came and the man was taken to local gallows, he was given a chance to save his life:

"Say one sentence. If its a truth, you will be hung. If its a false, you will be shot."

The man tought for a moment and said a single sentence. In awe of his words, he was then freed. I wonder what on earth did he say?

2)
A man was arrested and sentenced to death. When the day came and the man was taken to local gallows, he plead the king to give him one more chance. The people agreed, since he was only trying to give freedom of speech to the people.

"Very well. I will give you your last chance... but only if you manage trough this! I will put these two pieces of paper in this basket: One of them says "You live" and the other says "You die". The piece of paper will tell you your fate."

But the king was cunning and put two "You die" pieces of paper. He was sure there would be no way the man could get out of this situation, but the man prevailed. How? He picked a piece of paper.

Spam Kid

Postby Airon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 15:49

GoldenBullet wrote:
1)
A man was arrested and sentected to death. When the day came and the man was taken to local gallows, he was given a chance to save his life:

"Say one sentence. If its a truth, you will be hung. If its a false, you will be shot."

The man tought for a moment and said a single sentence. In awe of his words, he was then freed. I wonder what on earth did he say?

I presume the man said: "You will not hang me".

That way, if his statement was true, he would be hung, but that would mean that his statement was false, so it would contradict itself.

If what he said was false, he would have been shot, but that would make his statement true, so it would just be another contradiction.

Although if i were them i guess i'd just shoot him first and then hang him anyway :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To IceCreamy: omg, i can't believe how silly i am :P I guess i gave my reply without too much thought. The fun part of it was that i actually took down the clock in our classroom just to check, and of course I suddenly realized I was wrong :oops: :P I guess this just proves that i'm wearing a digital watch :mrgreen:

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 16:01

You are correct Airon ;) Althou "I will be shot" would be a little more eh... simple. No negations or such :P

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 17:02

No, I said that the next time they will point in the same direction again. It doesnt mean they would have to point in the same way as at midnight ^^

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 18:08

IceCreamy wrote:No, I said that the next time they will point in the same direction again. It doesnt mean they would have to point in the same way as at midnight ^^

I know what you mean, but I won't accept it until you accept you didnt say your riddle well enough :P

Server High Admin

Postby blazing » Fri Jan 08, 2010 15:09

another 1:)

a waterlily(flower) lies in a lake
it can double up in every day
it takes the lily 120 days to cover the whole lake

how many days does it take for the waterlily to cover 1/2 if the lake?

and 2nd one:

a man was deadly injuried in a terrible fight in june 1958
he died and get's buried in 1957

how is that possible?

thanks diamond:)

Veteran

Postby Timon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 15:37

Yey! Great topic, Airon! It was (and I hope it still will be) a great fun reading it!

Almost all riddles are sloved by now , but huh... I'm still thinking about Golden's 2nd one.

Oh and my discovery about this thing:

Airon wrote:http://www.exstatica.net/flash/psychic.swf

It will only show a correct number if you point it with your mouse while counting. The programme assumes that you will do it while adding the digits and that is why it might not work for people who doesn't need to set their arrow pointer on the number ;)

Blazing:

1) It will take 119 days for lily to cover 1/2 of the lake. If it doubles every day, then it covers exactly 1/2 the day before 120 which is 119.

2)He lived before Christ I suppose, coz we count dates inversely.

One from me:

A man was looking at a portrait. Someone asked him: 'Who's portrait are you looking at?' The man said: 'I have no brothers and no sisters, but the father of this man* is a son of my father'.

*person on the portrait

Enjoy! I hope we will keep this topic alive! It's just great!

Spam Kid

Postby Airon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:03

blazing wrote:another 1:)

a waterlily(flower) lies in a lake
it can double up in every day
it takes the lily 120 days to cover the whole lake

how many days does it take for the waterlily to cover 1/2 if the lake?

This is one might seem as if though you'll need some time to calculate the answer by calling the area cover by the waterlilly X or something. I first thought of :

x^(2^y) = 1

where x is the area covered by the lilly and y is the number of days.

However this model doesn't fit the riddle, because the area covered simply doubles each day ( i first misunderstood the task).

Then i realized i could do this an easier way by using simple logic. If the waterlilly had covered the entier lake after 120 days, that means that it would have covered the half of the lake the day before. Final answer is therefore 119 days.

Edit: seems Timon already came up with the correct answer while i was having my lunch next to the computer :P
Last edited by Airon on Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Spam Kid

Postby Airon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:18

Timon wrote:

It will only show a correct number if you point it with your mouse while counting. The programme assumes that you will do it while adding the digits and that is why it might not work for people who doesn't need to set their arrow pointer on the number ;)

I am sorry to say you are wrong :P However that was what i thought too in the beginning. If you follow the instructions, you will find that the very same symbol appears at your screen. The maths and the solution to this one is... well beyond my line of instant thought :wink:

I'll give you an example:

1. chose a two-digit number. ( lets say I chose 65.)
2. Add the two digits in your number together ( From our number 65, thats mean 6 + 5 = 11)
3. Substract the new number (11) from the original number (65) . ( 65-11=54)
4. look at the symbol on the right side of your number (54)

Try it out and tell me if you change your mind or not :wink:

For your own riddle: the man was looking at a picture of himself!

New one:

A t-shirt and a cap cost $1.10( one dollar and ten cents) in total  The t-shirt costs $1 more than the cap. How much does the cap cost?

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:30

The cap cost 10 cents..
Because: The t-shirt is 1$ more then the cap. 1$ + 10 cents is 1.10..?
This one is very easy..

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:32

Airon wrote:
New one:

A t-shirt and a cap cost $1.10( one dollar and ten cents) in total  The t-shirt costs $1 more than the cap. How much does the cap cost?

5 cent
ImageImage
ImageImage

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:44

davies wrote:
Airon wrote:
New one:

5 cent

Yea its 5. I didnt catched the question good.. i thought the t-shirt is 1$.. but its 1$ more..
5 cent is cap. 1$ more is 1.05. 1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10. XD

Veteran

Postby Timon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:48

Hmm then ther is some kind of a pattern insuring that no matter which one you pick up and count the digits, picture next to your result will be the right one.

Airon wrote:For your own riddle: the man was looking at a picture of himself!

Nope :)

Cap does NOT cost 0,10! How is that possible? We can do it simply by using Maths, but you can also came up with solution with careful thinking.

Counting:

x-cap, y-T-shirt

x+y=1,1 both cost 1,1
y=x+1 T-shirt cost 1 more then the cup

x+x+1=1,1
2x=0,1
x=0,5

Why not 0,1:

Your first thought is: Omg! 0.1 of course! If it was so, look what would happen:

T-shirt= 0,1+1=1,1
This way T-shirt+cap=1,1+0,1=1,2

The trick is not to forget that 1,1 is a sum of 2 objects. In other words 1,1=cap+cap+1(T-shirt)=2*cap+1

EDIT: IceCreamy is possibly right. I also thought it's got to be 1:05, but I grabbed a clock and the arrows point the same spot at about 1:07.

Veteran

Postby Viduus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:28

Airon wrote:
Timon wrote:

I am sorry to say you are wrong :P However that was what i thought too in the beginning. If you follow the instructions, you will find that the very same symbol appears at your screen. The maths and the solution to this one is... well beyond my line of instant thought :wink:

I'll give you an example:

1. chose a two-digit number. ( lets say I chose 65.)
2. Add the two digits in your number together ( From our number 65, thats mean 6 + 5 = 11)
3. Substract the new number (11) from the original number (65) . ( 65-11=54)
4. look at the symbol on the right side of your number (54) [/code]

I started trying numbers in same range like
63 = 63-9= 54
64 = 64-10 = 54
65 = 65-11 = 54
11 = 11-2 = 9
12 = 12-3 = 9
And saw that all answers are multipliers from 9 ... 18 27 36 45 54 etc
These 9 numbers have all always the same symbol everytime you try the "mind reader".

Spam Kid

Postby Airon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:59

GoldenBullet wrote:2)
A man was arrested and sentenced to death. When the day came and the man was taken to local gallows, he plead the king to give him one more chance. The people agreed, since he was only trying to give freedom of speech to the people.

"Very well. I will give you your last chance... but only if you manage trough this! I will put these two pieces of paper in this basket: One of them says "You live" and the other says "You die". The piece of paper will tell you your fate."

But the king was cunning and put two "You die" pieces of paper. He was sure there would be no way the man could get out of this situation, but the man prevailed. How? He picked a piece of paper.

I've got no idea... Perhaps he pulled one piece of paper and then asked the King to show the other one, thus revealing the King's fraud. I can't really think of anything else.

To Vidus: You are right :) If you look up "flash mind reader solution" you'll find the maths behind it too :)

Veteran

Postby Timon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:27

Aha! My sister put me on the right track! You pick one of the papers and hide it (in your pocket for example). Then you open the basket and show the King, that the "You die" paper is still there. So on the terms of the agreement you drawed the one saying "You live". You actually didn't, but showing the paper to anybody would reveal King's fraud.

Veteran

Postby Harpix » Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:25

Timon wrote:
Airon wrote:For your own riddle: the man was looking at a picture of himself!

Nope :)

His son's portrait.
When you cry, we ll be there to sing to you

Veteran

Postby Timon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 21:19

Correct Harpix! Next one comming after I finish exercises.

PreviousNext

Return to Fun & Nonsense Corner